Monday, November 25, 2013

Building your School Community

What would your community say about your school? 

In our community we talk about the parking lot chatter, and I understand it.  I am one of those moms in that parking lot.  However, when you arent in the parking lot, when you meet a new neighbor, what do you say about your community? 

Does your school have an ambassador or mentor program?  When my son started Catholic school in first grade, I felt a little left out of the loop.  My son was fine, but it took me a little while to find my niche. (I may actually still be searching for it.)  A few years ago our school started an ambassador program that pairs new families up with an existing family with children in the same grade.  I love the opportunity to volunteer in this program.  I can brag about our school and help a new family feel welcome and settled.  It has spawned friendships for myself and my children. 

As my children get older and, ultimately, I get older, I realize it is this community of like-minded families that keeps me going.  It is knowing that my children have multiple people in their lives that have the same morals and values that I have.  It is often hard to see the importance of this when your child is young.  As they grow up we often lose control of many aspects of their life.  Gone are the days where the playdates included the parents. I can have confidence in their independence because I know the community that has helped shape them into the young adult they are now.

What does your school do to build its community?  What have you done that worked or didnt work?


No comments:

Post a Comment